Splunk Search

Timechart - Replace "No Results Found" with "No Activity for Today"

TheJagoff
Communicator

Hello (again),

To go along with my previous question regarding using span=10 minutes using the following search:
index=wineventlog user="*.ad" TaskCategory="Security Group Management" | timechart span=10m count |reverse

I'm using "today" in the time-picker

This works fine with searches that have data for today. However; some of my searches do not have any activity for today, so the search comes up with "No Results Found".

I would like to replace "No Results Found" with "No Activity for Today". Is this possible and how is this done?
Again, many thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

rjthibod
Champion

This question is a duplicate of this one: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/129774/change-no-results-found-message.html

That question hasn't been answered, but I am pretty sure the answer is no, or at least, not directly.

The HTML text is not defined in any way that is easily changed via CSS.

Instead, you can add a message block to your SimpleXML that you can control. Here is the generic pattern you can use in SimpleXML

<html depends="$search_msg$">
  <h3 style="margin: 60px 0 50px 10px;">$search_msg$</h3>
</html>
<chart rejects="$search_msg$">
  <search>
    <query>
       index=wineventlog user="*.ad" TaskCategory="Security Group Management" | timechart span=10m count |reverse
    </query>
    <done>
      <condition match="'job.resultCount' > 0">
        <unset token="search_msg"/>
      </condition>
      <condition>
        <set token="search_msg">No Activity Found</set>
      </condition>
    </done>          
  </search>
</chart>

View solution in original post

rjthibod
Champion

This question is a duplicate of this one: https://answers.splunk.com/answers/129774/change-no-results-found-message.html

That question hasn't been answered, but I am pretty sure the answer is no, or at least, not directly.

The HTML text is not defined in any way that is easily changed via CSS.

Instead, you can add a message block to your SimpleXML that you can control. Here is the generic pattern you can use in SimpleXML

<html depends="$search_msg$">
  <h3 style="margin: 60px 0 50px 10px;">$search_msg$</h3>
</html>
<chart rejects="$search_msg$">
  <search>
    <query>
    </query>
    <done>
      <condition match="'job.resultCount' > 0">
        <unset token="search_msg"/>
      </condition>
      <condition>
        <set token="search_msg">No Activity Found</set>
      </condition>
    </done>          
  </search>
</chart>

TheJagoff
Communicator

This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...