All Apps and Add-ons

TA-sos error "...slave-apps/TA-sos/bin/ps_sos.sh: Permission denied"

davidpaper
Contributor

There appears to be a problem with the TS-sos addon when running in a Clustered indexer environment.

I see this error on all of my indexers:

03-21-2013 22:01:23.739 +0000 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "/opt/splunk/etc/slave-apps/TA-sos/bin/ps_sos.sh" /bin/sh: /opt/splunk/etc/slave-apps/TA-sos/bin/ps_sos.sh: Permission denied

After doing some hunting, the permissions are right on the $Clustermaster/etc/master-apps/TA-sos/bin:

[splunk]:stmocprvsh1:/opt/splunk_clustermaster/etc/master-apps/TA-sos/default$ ls -l ../bin
total 12
-r-xr-xr-x 1 splunk splunk 2515 Jul 11 2012 common.sh
-r-xr-xr-x 1 splunk splunk 1445 Sep 19 2012 lsof_sos.sh
-r-xr-xr-x 1 splunk splunk 2075 Oct 4 05:38 ps_sos.sh

But when the bundle is created and pushed out the the Clustered indexers, permissions get changed:

[splunk@stmocprvidx3 hot]$ ls -l /opt/splunk/etc/slave-apps/TA-sos/bin/
total 12
-rw------- 1 splunk splunk 2515 Mar 21 21:23 common.sh
-rw------- 1 splunk splunk 1445 Mar 21 21:23 lsof_sos.sh
-rw------- 1 splunk splunk 2075 Mar 21 21:23 ps_sos.sh

I can seem to find no way to tell the Clustermaster not to change the permissions on files under the master-apps/ directory.

Anyone else see this?

-dave

1 Solution

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

UPDATE: This will be fixed in maintenance release 5.0.4.

This has been reproduced in-house and identified as core Splunk bug SPL-64308. I'll update this answer once I have more details regarding the release in which this will be fixed.

View solution in original post

ww9rivers
Contributor

Not sure if this bug resurrected or something. I have just noticed the same message in my splunkd.log. My TA-sos app is installed on this search head (a Linux box) by a deployment server (which is a Windows box), both running Splunk Enterprise version 6.4.2.

I did a "chmod ug+x" on the shell scripts in TA-sos, the messages stopped.

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Permissions more than ownership is probably the issue here. Is your script set to be executable by the "splunk" user?

0 Karma

peter7431
Explorer

I'm running clustered indexers on 6.0 and I'm seeing this same problem. Not sure what to do

05-02-2014 13:39:15.031 -0400 ERROR ExecProcessor - message from "/opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/anpl/bin/timemod.pl" /bin/sh: /opt/splunkforwarder/etc/apps/anpl/bin/timemod.pl: Permission denied

I tried to chown the script to splunk:splunk, where it was root:root before. Still getting the error.

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

UPDATE: This will be fixed in maintenance release 5.0.4.

This has been reproduced in-house and identified as core Splunk bug SPL-64308. I'll update this answer once I have more details regarding the release in which this will be fixed.

jonathan_cooper
Communicator

On customer engagement, running 6.3.3 and experiencing the exact same issue. Verified permissions for both the ../etc/master-apps version and ../etc/shcluster/apps version but when they get pushed to cluster, they lose the execute flag.

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you certain that the scripted input files in the Cluster Master's master-apps directory have the right permissions to begin with?

0 Karma

mad4wknds
Path Finder

I am on release 6.0 and I am still seeing this error. Any Answers?

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If the fix for this issue doesn't make it into our next maintenance release (5.0.3) it is very likely that a patch will follow to resolve this particular problem.

0 Karma

Ricapar
Communicator

Any word on when a fix for this will be coming around?

0 Karma

bfernandez
Communicator

I am having the same problems. This distribution method don't keep original permisions like Deployment Server does.

0 Karma

hexx
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks for reporting this issue. We'll take a look and attempt to reproduce it in-house.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...