Splunk Search

examples of searches to capture network thruput

Kendrick33
Explorer

Do you have any examples of searches capturing network thruput?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk will track the top 10 inputs based on source and host. To retrieve that information, you could run the following search:

index=_internal source=*metrics.log* per_host_thruput | timechart sum(kb) by series

To increase the number of tracked inputs, you can set that in your limits.conf file for metrics tracking.

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

how about this:

index="_internal" source="*metrics.log*" per_host_thruput | timechart max(kbps) by series | addtotals
0 Karma

Kendrick33
Explorer

I am monitoring a cluster of servers and am trying to capture the network thruput by host. I know splunk has a basic one out of the box. Thrput_by_host(*). However, I would like to be able to pinpoint the thruput of each server. When I attempted to hone the search, I couldn't get any data back. For example

Thruput_by_host(*) | timechart span=24h avg(Thruput_by_host()) as AvgHostThruput, AvgHostThruput renders nothing.

0 Karma

Simeon
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Your question is not very clear without any information about the data source (input).

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...