Splunk Search

easier/better way to get a general field summary table

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have an interesting situation where I want to be able to display a little summary table, showing a few statistics about a small number of fields, as calculated from a restricted set of events.

Basically I want it to look like the below:

field avg min max
avg_age 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000
eps 0.935385 0.064514 2.836625
ev 34.869565 2 86
kb 6.600976 0.244141 16.830078

The closest I've gotten is this search:

foo | fields avg_age eps ev kb | fields - _* | stats values(*) as * | transpose | rename column as field "row 1" as value | eval value=split(value, " ") | stats avg(value) as avg min(value) as min max(value) as max by field

which looks like it works. However I think the use of multivalue fields here is going to lead to truncation and thus the statistics aren't going to be trustworthy.

Can anyone help? I have this feeling that there's something simple I'm missing? Like if there was a 'summary' command:

summary stats="min,max,avg" fields="avg_age eps ev kb"

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ziegfried
Influencer

Not that much easier, but here you go:

... | fields field1 field1 | stats min max avg | transpose | rex field=column "(?<stat>[^\(]+)\((?<field>[^\)]+)" | rename "row 1" as value | xyseries field stat value

Also, it's fairly easy to create a macro:

[summary_stats(2)]
args = fields,stats
definition = fields $fields$ | stats $stats$ | transpose | rex field=column "(?<stat>[^\(]+)\((?<field>[^\)]+)" | rename "row 1" as value | xyseries field stat value
iseval = 0

which makes the search easier to read:

... | `summary_stats(field1 field2 field3, min max avg)`

View solution in original post

ziegfried
Influencer

Not that much easier, but here you go:

... | fields field1 field1 | stats min max avg | transpose | rex field=column "(?<stat>[^\(]+)\((?<field>[^\)]+)" | rename "row 1" as value | xyseries field stat value

Also, it's fairly easy to create a macro:

[summary_stats(2)]
args = fields,stats
definition = fields $fields$ | stats $stats$ | transpose | rex field=column "(?<stat>[^\(]+)\((?<field>[^\)]+)" | rename "row 1" as value | xyseries field stat value
iseval = 0

which makes the search easier to read:

... | `summary_stats(field1 field2 field3, min max avg)`

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Awesome answer. Since it doesn't use values() it wont get truncated. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us in this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...