Splunk Search

calculating percentage using eval and stats commands

manju1318
Engager

Hi, I am working on a task: calculating the percentage of employees working in food industry for each country. I tried to develop the code but its not working. please correct my where its mistake.

| stats sum("Number of employees") as Total_Emp by Country
| where Industry="Food*"
| stats sum("Number of employees") as Food_Emp by Country
| eval Percent = round((Food_Emp/Total_Emp)*100,2)."%"

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Each command in the search pipeline knows only the results from preceeding commands (probably that's why the pipe sign to separate them because it's very similar to shell stream processing). So as soon as you do the first stats command you lose the information about raw data and can only operate on aggregated results.

There are several possible approaches to your problem but I'd do it like this:

| stats sum('Number of employees') as overall sum(eval(if(like(Industry,"Food%"),'Number of employees',0))) as food by Country

(Might have some mismatched parentheses)

View solution in original post

manju1318
Engager

thank you for responding.

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Each command in the search pipeline knows only the results from preceeding commands (probably that's why the pipe sign to separate them because it's very similar to shell stream processing). So as soon as you do the first stats command you lose the information about raw data and can only operate on aggregated results.

There are several possible approaches to your problem but I'd do it like this:

| stats sum('Number of employees') as overall sum(eval(if(like(Industry,"Food%"),'Number of employees',0))) as food by Country

(Might have some mismatched parentheses)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...