Splunk Search

XML Field Extraction -- Multiple Lines

ksimpkins

I am new to Splunk and have been messing with this for about a week so I am looking to the community to help. I pretty much have multiple xml errors that I am trying to extract the error code "VOSCM0000I", the severity "Info" and the message "Transaction successful" out of multiple lines over a duration. Top offender over a period of time.

Any thoughts?

<ResponseMessage>
    <mes:StatusCode>1</mes:StatusCode>
    <mes:BusinessMessage>
      <mes:Code>VOSCM0000I</mes:Code>
      <mes:Severity>Info</mes:Severity>
      <mes:LocalizedMessage>Transaction successful</mes:LocalizedMessage>
    </mes:BusinessMessage>
    <mes:BusinessMessage>
      <mes:Code>RENTAL003067</mes:Code>
      <mes:Severity>Error</mes:Severity>
      <mes:FieldName>ValidateTicketInput.ticket</mes:FieldName>
      <mes:LocalizedMessage>Total renter charge amount for this ticket obtained from pricing and payment is not matching.</mes:LocalizedMessage>
    </mes:BusinessMessage>
  </ResponseMessage>
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

I like Martin's solution, but I would finish it differently. Either should work, though.

yoursearchhere
| spath output=msg path=ResponseMessage.mes:BusinessMessage 
| mvexpand msg
| rex "(?m)mes\:Code\>(?<Code>.*?)\<.*?mes\:Severity\>(?<Severity>.*?)\<.*?mes\:LocalizedMessage\>(?<Message>.*?)\<"
| top Code Severity Message

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

I like Martin's solution, but I would finish it differently. Either should work, though.

yoursearchhere
| spath output=msg path=ResponseMessage.mes:BusinessMessage 
| mvexpand msg
| rex "(?m)mes\:Code\>(?<Code>.*?)\<.*?mes\:Severity\>(?<Severity>.*?)\<.*?mes\:LocalizedMessage\>(?<Message>.*?)\<"
| top Code Severity Message

lguinn2
Legend

Good point - I wasn't thinking about the fact that XML is order-independent for subelements.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

An upside to the spath way is that it ignores different orderings and allows for optional elements without mucking up the regular expression - if for instance there were events with no localized message the expression would not match at all.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

For the extraction spath is your friend:

...  | spath output=msg path=ResponseMessage.mes:BusinessMessage | mvexpand msg | spath input=msg output=Code path=mes:Code | and so on
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...