Splunk Search

Why the function "strftime" not working in my search query?

chrismok
Path Finder

alt textIf I use this, no event return

sourcetype=abc source="*"+strftime(now(),"%Y%m%d")+"*"

But when I modify the query to

sourcetype=abc source="*20141104*"

There is a events return.

May I know is that a bug in Splunk?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

peter_krammer
Communicator

Here is what you are looking for

sourcetype=abc [|stats count | eval source = "*"+strftime(now(),"%Y%m%d")+"*" | fields source | format]

Edited Answer to show the better performance solution found by davebrooking, but optimized a little by me.

View solution in original post

peter_krammer
Communicator

Here is what you are looking for

sourcetype=abc [|stats count | eval source = "*"+strftime(now(),"%Y%m%d")+"*" | fields source | format]

Edited Answer to show the better performance solution found by davebrooking, but optimized a little by me.

chrismok
Path Finder

Tested for your solution, it can provide the better performance

0 Karma

vasanthmss
Motivator

Hi chrismok,

Its not a bug in splunk,

strftime is a function that takes epoch time as first parameter and format human readable format like YYYYDDMM etc, based on your format string in second param.

you should use those functions in "eval".

As per your requirement this query will help you.

sourcetype=abc [|gentimes start=-1 | eval source="*"+strftime(now(),"%Y%m%d")+"*" | return source]

Thanks,
Vasu

V

davebrooking
Contributor

What if you try adding the specific field name to the search - something like
sourcetype=abc source=[|gentimes start=-1 | eval source=""+strftime(now(),"%Y%m%d")+"" | return source]

Does that improve the performance?

chrismok
Path Finder

Error in 'search' command: Unable to parse the search: Comparator '=' has an invalid term on the left hand side.

0 Karma

davebrooking
Contributor

Sorry, I was using the concept from this answer, but had no Splunk instance to test on.

I've since had a chance to try the technique on a small subset of data and noticed quite sizeable differences in execution time depending on whether you use stats count or gentimes start=-1 at the start of the subsearch with return or table as the last command in the subsearch. I'm getting consistently better execution times using

sourcetype=abc [|stats count | eval source="*"+strftime(now(),"%Y%m%d")+"*" | table source]

chrismok
Path Finder

Thanks vasanthmss. But I found that the performance will be decreased using your approach

sourcetype=abc [|gentimes start=-1 | eval source="*"+strftime(now(),"%Y%m%d")+"*" | return source] 

Run time: 3~4 seconds, Retrieve events: 18824

sourcetype=abc source="*20141104*"

Run time: 1 seconds, Retrieve events: 18824

MuS
Legend

Hi chrismok,

you're absolutly right regarding the performance. Try this instead:

... | eval file_date=strftime(now(), "%Y%m%d") | eval mySource="*" + file_date + "*" |  where source=mySource | ...

hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

chrismok
Path Finder

Hi MuS.

Using your script, no record found.....

Regards,
Chris

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

upps my bad...try this updated command:

... | eval file_date=strftime(now(), "%Y%m%d") | eval mySource="." + file_date + "." | where match(source, mySource) | ...
0 Karma

chrismok
Path Finder

worser
alt text

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

another approach just came up my mind:
if you always need today's or yesterday's date in the source name, than you could use an eval based macro containing something like this:

strftime(relative_time(time(), "-d"), "%Y%m%d") 

If your macro is named yesterday you can use it like this in your searches:

sourcetype=depmon_sys_rel_log  source=*`yesterday`* | ...
0 Karma

chrismok
Path Finder

It's not worked... as the Splunk macro is not similar to excel macro or function.... The Splunk only copy the macro string and place to the query

for example.

sourcetype=depmon_sys_rel_log source=`get_today`

Macro: get_today

strftime(now(),"%Y%m%d")

After ran the query and click the Search job inspecor. You can see that

search sourcetype=depmon_sys_rel_log source=strftime(now(),"%Y%m%d")

As a result, it is not worked

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Well there must be something wrong, because this works for sure. If I run a search like this:

index=main source=*`yesterday`* 

it becomes this litsearch

litsearch index=main source=*04-Nov-2014*

and returns events ....

0 Karma

chrismok
Path Finder

Please take a look
alt text

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

chrismok, do you have any results on this by now? I wonder which approach will be the fastest for you. Thanks for sharing the results.

chrismok
Path Finder

Thank MuS. Just tried these 2 methods over 50 time. the process time are the same most of the time. But sometime your approach will faster around 0.02 ~ 0.06 seconds (Elapse time is 4 seconds). But the one bad thing is the star symbol cannot combine into the marco

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

And why could this be bad?

0 Karma

chrismok
Path Finder

Hi Mus,

Will check it next Monday as I am working in other project now..... Sorry.....

Regards,
Chris

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Make sure you tick the Use eval-based definition? in the macro settings! Then it will work and should be pretty fast as well 😉

hmm, cannot add a screenshot here???

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...