Splunk Search

Why is the chart command returning months in alphabetical order?

archu_01

I am trying to sort the data month wise using the chart command. However the month is getting sorted alphabetically.

I tried referring the older post around the same topic, but none of solution works.

Tried all of these options

base search | eval Month =strftime(_time,"%b") | chart count over rules by Month
base search | eval Month =strftime(_time,"%b") | chart count over rules by Month | eval sort=case(Month=="Jan","1",
Month=="Feb","2", Month=="Mar","3", Month=="Apr","4", Month=="May","5", Month=="Jun","6", Month=="Jul","7",

Month=="Aug","8", Month=="Sep","9", Month=="Oct","10", Month=="Nov","11", Month=="Dec","12")|sort sort |fields -
sort

The query that works is by numeric(as shown below) , but how do I convert the numeric to represent "month Name" as "Sep 2018,oct 2018 "?

base search | eval Monthnum =strftime(_time,"%m") | chart count over rules by Monthnum 
0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

@archu_01,

Try this and see if it works for you

base search | eval Month =strftime(_time,"%b") | chart count over rules by Month
 |fields rules,Jan,Feb,Mar,Apr,May,Jun,Jul,Aug,Sep,Oct,Nov,Dec
 |transpose|transpose header_field=column |fields - column
---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@archu_01,

Try this and see if it works for you

|transpose|transpose header_field=column |fields - column
---
0 Karma

archu_01

cool this works. I haven't used transpose but looks like the query limits the rows only to 5, can we make the limit 0 ?

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@archu_01,
yes ofcourse, just add transpose 0

See the int in http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.0/SearchReference/Transpose#Optional_arguments

---
0 Karma

archu_01

Thanks this works !!

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@archu_01,

Try specifying the month names with fields

---
0 Karma

archu_01

While this sort the fields the output which is the count is empty. The result is empty .

0 Karma

archu_01

rechecked the result set, the data is working. however if I set the time frame to last 90 days then how can we display the data just to show Aug,sep,oct, Nov ? since we mentioned all the months in the fields command other months populate as results and show 0 count ?

rules Jan feb Mar Apr Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
xxx 200 10 300 500

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

I got what you mean. I will try for a solution and meanwhile I will move as a comment so that others might be able to help you

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...