Splunk Search

Why does the map command return no results?

bojanisch
Path Finder

Hi everyone,

I have a use case where I need to iterate over multiple query strings and execute each of them, so I though of using the map command and passing the search query as a token to the map search like this
| makeresults count=1| eval query = "| makeresults count=1 | eval test=\"Hello\"" | map search="$query$" maxsearches=1

This search won't return any results. However if I put the search string directly in the mapping command I get the expected results

| makeresults count=1| eval query = "" | map search="| makeresults count=1 | eval test=\"Hello\"" maxsearches=1

I thought that field values can be passed in mapping commands replacing their respective token. Although this is happening, the map command does not seem to execute the string as a query.

Does someone has an explanation for this behavior and maybe even a solution?

0 Karma

bojanisch
Path Finder

Okay after some more research I found out that Splunk isn't parsing the token as a query, but as a string.

03-07-2018 21:49:45.182 INFO SearchParser - PARSING: search "| makeresults count=1 | eval test=\"Hello\""

After passing the string through a macro, everything works as expected

| makeresults count=1| eval query = "| makeresults count=1 | eval test=\"Hello\"" | map search="`getSearchAsString($query$)`" maxsearches=1

where the macro is defined as

[getSearchAsString(1)]
args = search
definition = $search$
iseval = 0

valiquet
Contributor

I think because you had quotes in query variable, you could have trimmed them

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...