Splunk Search

Why are fields getting trimmed while fetching?

Nidd
Path Finder

I have some error logs like below:

TYPE=ERROR, DATE_TIME=2022-12-31 03:30:27,281, CLASS_NAME=myClass, METHOD_NAME=myMethod, message=unknown error while fetching recordsjavax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: General SSLEngine problem
TYPE=ERROR, DATE_TIME=2023-01-19 00:38:09,013, CLASS_NAME=myClass, METHOD_NAME=myMethod, message=unknown error while fetching recordsjava.lang.IllegalStateException: could not create the default ssl context

I need to get the message field of these logs and to sort them based on _time. I am trying the below queries to get the same.

Query 1:

index="myIndes" host=myHost source="/my/app/location/app.log" TYPE=ERROR | extract pairdelim=",|" kvdelim="=" | table message | sort _time

Query 2:

index="myIndes" host=myHost source="/my/app/location/app.log" TYPE=ERROR | rex "^(?:(?<message>[^,]*),){7}" | table message | sort _time

But for both these queries, my response looks like below. Instead of getting the entire message field, I am getting just the first word.

--------
unknown

Please help on how to achieve this.

Labels (3)
0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Nidd,

You can use below query;

index="myIndes" host=myHost source="/my/app/location/app.log" TYPE=ERROR 
| rex "message=(?<message>.+)" 
| table message 
| sort _time

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...