Splunk Search

Why are Splunk searches returning events outside the frozenTimePeriodInSecs setting?

slr
Communicator

Hi there!

I'm trying to set up the buckets in one Splunk deployment. I want to delete events greater than 1 week and for that I write the next parameters for some indexes inside the local/indexes.conf

frozenTimePeriodInSecs = 604800
rotatePeriodInSecs = 60
maxHotBuckets = 1
maxHotSpanSecs = 3600
maxHotIdleSecs = 60
maxWarmDBCount = 1

I check the splunkd.log and the BucketMover works without errors... but when I'm checking the events inside the indexes with the next search...

index=someindex | chart count over date_mday by date_month

... Splunk shows me events from days outside the frozenTimePeriodInSecs that I set. Sometimes 3 days more, other times even 6 or more...

Any clues?

Deployment:
Splunk: Enterprise 6.3.2

0 Karma
1 Solution

dgrubb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Remember that setting is applied to a bucket as a whole not individual events. So in order for Splunk to freeze a bucket all events in a bucket must be past the frozentimeperiodinsecs

View solution in original post

dgrubb_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Remember that setting is applied to a bucket as a whole not individual events. So in order for Splunk to freeze a bucket all events in a bucket must be past the frozentimeperiodinsecs

slr
Communicator

Also, the Hot bucket don't count for this purpose and for that, I will have frozentimeperiodinsecs + hotbucket events in the indexes... is right?

Thanks @dgrubb_splunk

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...