Splunk Search

Why am I unable to apply index-time field extractions through props.conf and transforms.conf to incoming data?

DanielAden
Explorer

I am trying to add an index-time extraction to a current data input by going to Setting > Data Inputs > TCP > [TCP PORT] > Select source type from list, however, my custom extraction does not appear. Here are the relevant bits of my transforms.conf and props.conf:

# props.conf
[unique_apache_custom]
TRANSFORMS-r1 = uniquel_apache_custom_fields

# transforms.conf
[unique_apache_custom_fields]
REGEX = (\S+)\]\s+(\S+)[\s-]+(\[.+\]) \"(OPTIONS|GET|HEAD|POST|PUT|DELETE|TRACE|CONNECT) (\S+) (\S+)\" (\d+) (\d+) \"(\S+)\" \"(\S+)(?: (\(.+\))(?: (\S+) (\S+))?\")?
FORMAT = source::$1 clientip::$2 timestamp::$3 method::$4 url::$5 protocol::$6 status::$7 bytes::$8 hosturl::$9

How do I apply this to my incoming data?

If any more info is needed please let me know.

0 Karma
1 Solution

DanielAden
Explorer

Thank you for your help, it turned out I was just missing pulldown_type = true, which was making the type not appear on the list.

View solution in original post

DanielAden
Explorer

Thank you for your help, it turned out I was just missing pulldown_type = true, which was making the type not appear on the list.

stephanefotso
Motivator

Ubdate your props.conf like this and let me know if ok.

# props.conf
 [unique_apache_custom]
 REPORT-r1 = uniquel_apache_custom_fields
SGF
0 Karma

DanielAden
Explorer

Edited my props.conf like above, restarted splunk and still no good.

0 Karma

stephanefotso
Motivator

Where did you put your file? Make shure you have put it in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local/, or your own custom app directory in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/local. And let me know again.
Thanks

SGF
0 Karma

DanielAden
Explorer

Currently props.conf and transforms.conf are both located at $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/local. Also, if it is relevant, their permissions are -rw-r--r--. I have had them at these locations before without issue but I will try them at the locations you suggested.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...