Splunk Search

Transaction trouble with ping events...

MHibbin
Influencer

Hi there,

I am trying to solve a problem with some ping events (not parsed, just literally the output from recursive pinging (single ping count)). The problem is as follows:

I need to create a field that states how long an interface/IP address is unavailable (i.e. all the time it has 100% loss rate, opposed to 0%). So this would be from the point a first failed ping (i.e. 100% loss) to point of the next successful ping (i.e. 0% ping). I have tried to do this with transaction, as it outputs the duration field, but I can't seem to get anything right.

I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

My events look similar to this...

Pinging 192.168.56.101 with 1 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.56.101: bytes=1 time<1ms TTL=64
Ping statistics for 192.168.56.101:
    Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 1, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Request timed out.
    Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss),

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

Request timed out.

The time field is the time of indexing.

Thanks in advance,

MHIbbin

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

lguinn2
Legend

Try this:

sourcetype=ping | 
rex "Pinging (?<ip>\S+)" |
rex "\((?<loss>\d+)% loss\)" |
sort ip _time |
streamstats current=false last(ip) as lastIP last(loss) as lastLoss |
where not (loss=100 and lastLoss=100 and lastIP=ip) | 
transaction ip startswith="(100% loss)" endswith="(0% loss)" | 
table ip duration

It may not do exactly what you want,but I think you will be on the right track. Here is the problem with the transaction command: when you specify that it starts with 100% loss, then repeated 100% losses create many transactions - not what you want. So what I did:

• made sure that I had fields defined for the ip and the loss
  • captured the ip and loss from the previous event
  • used the where command to eliminate successive events that had the same ip and 100% loss
  • used the transaction command to group the events using the ip address and the loss as criteria
  • display the ip address and duration

There is more that you could do. For example, you could count the number of outages, average duration and overall down time by ip - just substitute the following for the table command:

stats count as NumberOfOutages avg(duration) as AverageOutage sum(duration) as TotalDowntime by ip

Hope this helps. If it doesn't work, please comment on the answer - it could just be a typo. I couldn't really test this before posting.

View solution in original post

lguinn2
Legend

Try this:

sourcetype=ping | 
rex "Pinging (?<ip>\S+)" |
rex "\((?<loss>\d+)% loss\)" |
sort ip _time |
streamstats current=false last(ip) as lastIP last(loss) as lastLoss |
where not (loss=100 and lastLoss=100 and lastIP=ip) | 
transaction ip startswith="(100% loss)" endswith="(0% loss)" | 
table ip duration

It may not do exactly what you want,but I think you will be on the right track. Here is the problem with the transaction command: when you specify that it starts with 100% loss, then repeated 100% losses create many transactions - not what you want. So what I did:

• made sure that I had fields defined for the ip and the loss
  • captured the ip and loss from the previous event
  • used the where command to eliminate successive events that had the same ip and 100% loss
  • used the transaction command to group the events using the ip address and the loss as criteria
  • display the ip address and duration

There is more that you could do. For example, you could count the number of outages, average duration and overall down time by ip - just substitute the following for the table command:

stats count as NumberOfOutages avg(duration) as AverageOutage sum(duration) as TotalDowntime by ip

Hope this helps. If it doesn't work, please comment on the answer - it could just be a typo. I couldn't really test this before posting.

MHibbin
Influencer

by the way, the test data I provided originally was on a Windows system, and the actual data is on Linux... hence the difference in the syntax

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

I'm not sure if I still need to use streamstats, but this seems to deliver what I need...

sourcetype="ping" | streamstats last(hostIP) as lasthostIP last(pcktsLst) as lastloss | transaction keepevicted=true hostIP startswith="0% packet loss" | stats sum(duration) by hostIP

0 Karma

MHibbin
Influencer

Thanks very much for the help.

I have modified what you have done, which I think has worked to meet my needs... I will update this tomorrow is it works (when I will have access to the actual data) rather than just my test data.

Thanks again,

Matt

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...