Splunk Search

Timechart of open sessions per username.

MikhailArefiev
Explorer

I have a file like this:

Time,User-Name,Action
Thu Mar 7 15:09:22,admin,login
Thu Mar 7 17:46:21,admin,login
Thu Mar 7 18:01:33,admin,logout
Thu Mar 7 18:17:23,1111,login
Thu Mar 7 18:37:02,admin,login
Thu Mar 7 19:00:02,admin,logout
Thu Mar 7 19:05:21,admin,logout
Thu Mar 7 20:51:23,1111,logout
Thu Mar 7 21:10:45,admin,logout

I want to plot a timechart of open sessions per each user in the log file. Having read this
and this discussions, I wrote this query:

source="Accounting01" | eval Diff=if(Action="login", 1, if(Action="logout", -1, 0)) | bin _time | stats sum(Diff) as OpenSessions by _time User_Name | streamstats sum(OpenSessions) as OpenSessions by User_Name | eval Str_Time=strftime(_time, "%d-%m-%Y %H:%M:%S") | chart max(OpenSessions) as "Open sessions" by User_Name, Str_Time

This is how it looks now:

timechart.png

The problem is that some of the data is not shown, e. g. there is seemingly 0 sessions for admin between 18:00 and 18:35 while from the data it is obvious that they were logged in the whole time. Same with 1111: they should have 1 session for every point in time until they log out. It is more obviously reflected in the tabular version of the data:

tabular.png

Is it possible to alter the query so that the running sum per each user is stored per each event, even if it is 0 the whole time?

inputs.conf:

[monitor:///home/user/tmp/accounting01.csv]
disabled = false
sourcetype = Acc01
source = Accounting01

props.conf:

[Acc01]
REPORT-rep = Acc01_Fields
TRANSFORMS-skip = Skip_Header

transforms.conf:

[Acc01_Fields]
DELIMS = ","
FIELDS = "Time", "User_Name", "Action"

[Skip_Header]
REGEX = Time,
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about this?

... | eval Diff=if(Action="login", 1, if(Action="logout", -1, 0)) | reverse | streamstats sum(Diff) as openSessions by User_Name | timechart max(openSessions) by User_Name | filldown

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How about this?

... | eval Diff=if(Action="login", 1, if(Action="logout", -1, 0)) | reverse | streamstats sum(Diff) as openSessions by User_Name | timechart max(openSessions) by User_Name | filldown

MikhailArefiev
Explorer

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...