Splunk Search

The stats command isn't returning any results?

mperren
Engager

I have the following splunk query:

search (...) AND ERROR
    | rex field=error "^.*(?<vcbn>Value cannot be null.)$"
    | stats count(vcbn) by error

but for whatever reason the stats count(vcbn) by error isn't generating any results.

Additionally, the rex field=error "^.*(?<vcbn>Value cannot be null.)$" isn't building a new field in the list on the left of the event search results.

The search itself returns 170 events.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Start by displaying just the results of your search (everything before "rex") to make sure you're getting the events you think you're getting. Do you have a field called 'error'? If you want to capture the full stop at the end of the error message it should be escaped (.).

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

the_wolverine
Champion
search (...) AND ERROR
    | rex field=error "^.*(?<vcbn>Value cannot be null.)$"
    | stats count by vcbn
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

please provide some sample log entries and the portion which have to be extracted as vcbn.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Start by displaying just the results of your search (everything before "rex") to make sure you're getting the events you think you're getting. Do you have a field called 'error'? If you want to capture the full stop at the end of the error message it should be escaped (.).

---

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try 'stats count(vcbn)'. Since your search is only returning a single value, there is no grouping and so no use for a by clause.

---
0 Karma

linu1988
Champion

what do you get in vcbn? do you get all the values which you expect? And what i think you would like count on vcbn

rex "^.*(?Value cannot be null.)$" | stats count(vcbn) by vcbn

0 Karma

mperren
Engager

@richgalloway: got it, so after changing it up a bit to rex "^.*(?<vcbn>Value cannot be null.)$" | stats count(vcbn) by _raw I get a graph - but it's empty. What might I have missed there? I've also noticed that the results listing no longer has these errors listed.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I thought that might be the case. The field argument to the rex command tells rex what field to parse. Results are put into fields created by the '?<vcbn>' construct.

---
0 Karma

mperren
Engager

I don't get a field called error, I thought I was trying to make a field called error that pulled out that text and then get stats on it. However, I do get the results I'm expecting with just the search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...