Splunk Search

Subsearch? Transaction? I'm not sure

MrWh1t3
Path Finder

All,

I'm not sure what type of search I need to use...

What I would like to do is the following;

Search for EventId 4688, 4624, 4672, 4688, 4689 all within a few seconds.

I can't seem to get it to work using transaction.

Here is what I have just as a test:

source="WinEventLog:Security" * |transaction "EventCode=4688" "EventCode=4689" maxspan=30s maxpause=5s

I would think I should get something back from this as it's a simple, Process Created, Process Exited.

Make sense?

This is where I got the idea - http://www.sysforensics.org/2012/04/splunk-and-malware-fun.html

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

What did you try that did not work?

transaction sounds like exactly what you should use. Something like:

EventId=4688 OR EventId=4624 OR EventId=4672 OR EventId=4688 OR EventId=4689| transaction maxspan=10s | search EventId=4688 AND EventId=4624 AND EventId=4672 AND EventId=4688 AND EventId=4689

This retrieves all the events of interest, then puts them together in transactions spanning max 10 seconds (you might want to perform this transaction on a field as well, like host, to avoid events from different sources overlapping each other), and finally searches for transactions that contain all the EventId's.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

What did you try that did not work?

transaction sounds like exactly what you should use. Something like:

EventId=4688 OR EventId=4624 OR EventId=4672 OR EventId=4688 OR EventId=4689| transaction maxspan=10s | search EventId=4688 AND EventId=4624 AND EventId=4672 AND EventId=4688 AND EventId=4689

This retrieves all the events of interest, then puts them together in transactions spanning max 10 seconds (you might want to perform this transaction on a field as well, like host, to avoid events from different sources overlapping each other), and finally searches for transactions that contain all the EventId's.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...