Splunk Search

Split up multiline values

secphilomath1
Explorer

I am trying to run the following search:

index=tripwire LogCategory="Audit Event" AND "/etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-shibboleth-7" AND "myserver.mydomain.com"
| rex max_match=0 field=_raw "(?<lineData>[^\n]+)"
| rex field=Msg "'(?<FilePath>.*)' accessed by"
| rex field=_raw "accessed\sby\s'(?<Audit_UserName>.*)'.\sType"

| table _time, FilePath, Audit_UserName

However, the way I am splitting the multiline data doesn't appear to be working with this data.

Here is a sample of the data as viewed in Notepad++ with symbols;

secphilomath1_0-1709673410204.png

Every line ends in CR LF 

However, in Splunk it isn't splitting up the events.  What am I missing here?  I have had this work with similar data but unsure what is different in this situation.

TIA!

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I can't quiet tell what is the input data and how Splunk is splitting.

Do you want separate events for each time you have Feb 13 etc? If so provide a props for your indexers to say that the event starts with the date at the beginning of the line etc.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

secphilomath1
Explorer

Not yet no

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I can't quiet tell what is the input data and how Splunk is splitting.

Do you want separate events for each time you have Feb 13 etc? If so provide a props for your indexers to say that the event starts with the date at the beginning of the line etc.

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi so how is are the events being split by Splunk? And do you have any props to tell splunk how to split the events?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...