Splunk Search

Searching msexchange logs

wfarooq124

is there any splunk query to search for send, recipient and subject in msexchange email logs? I know there is msexchange app but could it be done via simple query, regex? thanks for your help

0 Karma

3no
Communicator

You will want to group all your logs by "internal_message_id" or "MID" to do so, you can use the "transaction" command :

Index=email sourcetype=msexchange | transaction MID 

As you'll see transaction is quiet slow, I'll recommand using a groupby instead, It should look something like this :

Index=email sourcetype=msexchange  | stats values(recipient) AS recipient, values(sender) AS sender, values(subject) AS subject by MID

3no

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

what's session field?

0 Karma

wfarooq124

@to4kawa this is regarding sourcetype=MSExchange:2013:MessageTracking so basically using it to parse send receive and subject

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
0 Karma

wfarooq124

@to4kawa thanks for your response I am looking for email sender, recipient and subject fields

0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

what's the results of searching sender@domain OR subject OR recipient@domain?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...