Splunk Search

Search filter giving unexpected results

szimmer661
Explorer

I have the following search:

index=ironstream MFSOURCETYPE=SMF110 (SAPPLID=CSFBTP0* AND (TRAN=PA6* OR HOL* OR SMX* OR SBI* OR SAP*)) | bin _time span=15m | eval IntervalTime=strftime(_time,"%H.%M") | chart count(TRAN) as "Transaction Count" over IntervalTime by TRAN

Results are including transaction names like LGAB, MBRC and SFBC and don't include transaction names like SMXS and SMXU, for which we did have counts for the time frame selected.

Results from a similar search with the same filters, but that sums a numeric field yield closer to expected results, but include a transaction named COIE and again don't include the SMX* transactions.

I obviously don't understand something about the filtering and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

Assuming the field TRAN has been extracted. try this

index=ironstream MFSOURCETYPE=SMF110 (SAPPLID=CSFBTP0* AND (TRAN=PA6* OR TRAN=HOL* OR TRAN=SMX* OR TRAN=SBI* OR TRAN=SAP*)) | bin _time span=15m | eval IntervalTime=strftime(_time,"%H.%M") | chart count(TRAN) as "Transaction Count" over IntervalTime by TRAN

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Assuming the field TRAN has been extracted. try this

index=ironstream MFSOURCETYPE=SMF110 (SAPPLID=CSFBTP0* AND (TRAN=PA6* OR TRAN=HOL* OR TRAN=SMX* OR TRAN=SBI* OR TRAN=SAP*)) | bin _time span=15m | eval IntervalTime=strftime(_time,"%H.%M") | chart count(TRAN) as "Transaction Count" over IntervalTime by TRAN
0 Karma

szimmer661
Explorer

That worked perfectly. Thanks for the help and the prompt reply.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...