Splunk Search

Search and grep for numbered events

gnovak
Builder

Hi there!

I'm looking at this previous question here:

[http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/2602/can-splunk-filtermatch-events-and-bring-back-neighbouring...]

I have a similar question. I have a search that brings back 8 events. They are numbered 1 through 8. My search is pretty simple and looks like this:

source="/opt/log/blahblahblah/epp_server/epp_server.log" sessionID="[10.9.231.111:59671:130.250.4.141:1000-whoohoo;]"

From this sessionID I searched for I got back 8 events. It will always be 8 events no matter what sessionID I search for.

So with that in mind I'd like to do a search sorta of like this:

[gnovak@yoogieboogie]$ seq 1 10

[gnovak@yoogieboogie]$ seq 1 10 | grep 5
[gnovak@yoogieboogie]$ seq 1 10 | grep -B 3 5
[gnovak@yoogieboogie]$ seq 1 10 | grep -A 3 5

I'd like to do a search in splunk on the actual "number" of the event returned. Is it possible to do that or would I have to make an eventtype for something that happens on that numbered event?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

eelisio2
Path Finder

Have you tried streamstats to create a sequence number?

"your search" | streamstats count as seq by sessionID | search seq > 3 AND seq < 8

View solution in original post

eelisio2
Path Finder

Have you tried streamstats to create a sequence number?

"your search" | streamstats count as seq by sessionID | search seq > 3 AND seq < 8

gnovak
Builder

No I'll give this a shot!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...