Splunk Search

Search Logs

IRHM73
Motivator

Hi, I wonder whether someone may be able to help me please.

From the answer I found here I'm using the query below to display searches that have been performed

index=_audit action=search info=granted search=* NOT "search_id='scheduler" NOT "search='|history" NOT "user=splunk-system-user" NOT "search='typeahead" NOT "search='| metadata type=* | search totalCount>0" | stats count by user search _time | sort _time | convert ctime(_time) | stats list(_time) as time list(search) as search by user

Could someone perhaps tell me please is there a way be which I can see how long the search took to run.

Many thanks and kind regards

Chris

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

| rest/services/search/jobs | fields *search* *duration* *sec*s

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

| rest/services/search/jobs | fields *search* *duration* *sec*s
0 Karma

IRHM73
Motivator

Hi @woodcock thank you for taking the time to come back to me with this.

I've tried the code snippet you kindly provided, but unfortunately I receive the following error:

Error in 'rest' command: This command
must be the first command of a search.

So I tried to moving this to the beginning of the search but this also doesn't work.

Any ideas where I may have gone wrong please?

Chris

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

My solution is not an extension to your original search but a 100% replacement for it. I tested it on v6.2.3 and it works just fine as-is. Use my solution's search string exactly as-is and it should give you everything you need (but in a totally different format).

0 Karma

IRHM73
Motivator

Hi thank you for coming back to me with this, and my apologies for perhaps not making this clearer, but is there a way by which I can integrate the two because I'd like to include the search the user performed and the username?

Chris

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Get rid of everything after (and including) the | and see what fields are there (there is a username field but I don't recall what the name is).

0 Karma

IRHM73
Motivator

Hi @woodcock that's great.

Kind regards and many thanks.

Chris

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...