Splunk Search

Running Total

Michael_Schyma1
Contributor

I am trying to get a running total for the number of events field. I can not get a column that adds up every 'number of events' or a running total anywhere at the bottom. Any Suggestions??

Heres my search:

*- fields + app_name, app_id |top app_id app_name |rename app_id AS "App Code" app_name AS "Application Name" count AS "Number of Events" percent AS "Percent"

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Ayn
Legend

From the docs on accum:

accum
Keeps a running total of a specified numeric field.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Accum

View solution in original post

Ayn
Legend

From the docs on accum:

accum
Keeps a running total of a specified numeric field.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/SearchReference/Accum

rturk
Builder

Nice! Another command that I wasn't previously aware existed 🙂

0 Karma

rturk
Builder

Just as a suggestion, this search does a count for events with two distinct values, adds them together, and has the total as a new column.

| stats count(eval(product="abc")) AS abc_count, count(eval(product="xyz")) AS xyz_count by product | eval total_products=abc_count+xyz_count  | sort -total_products

Sorry if this isn't what you're looking for, but hopefully it helps in some way.

Also you might want to remove the regex tag.. I don't think this has much to do with regular expressions 😉

0 Karma

Michael_Schyma1
Contributor

Sorry about that, i am not sure how that got there.

0 Karma

Michael_Schyma1
Contributor

so there is no way to just add a field that will give me a running total for all the events that I am searching for. When i add the sum feature it just takes me to a different screen and then gives me a total instead of having all the information listed and totaling in a different field. Thank you for your help, just having a hard time getting it to work.

0 Karma

Michael_Schyma1
Contributor

yes, but it does not add a seperate column that just has the total of all the counts

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

so you need to use a | stats sum(count) ?

Michael_Schyma1
Contributor

They are existing fields, I need a total of the top events. Not just each individual event

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

What about the part that generates the statistics? (the count and percent part) unless they are existing fields?

0 Karma

Michael_Schyma1
Contributor

Just a portion of it.. I left off the index and the sourcetype because i didnt think it would be needed.

0 Karma

Drainy
Champion

+1 Ayn, you'll need to copy and paste your whole search directly if you want any useful help.

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

I doubt that is really your search. Did you paste the whole search or just portions of it?

Michael_Schyma1
Contributor

any help would be appreachated

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...