Splunk Search

Routing to null queue in a cluster not working

responsys_cm
Builder

I have a number of Snort sensors that are sending syslog events to a Splunk forwarder. That forwarder in turn forwards the events to three indexers in a cluster.

Some snort rules are generating useless events where the body is: " |". I ran a search to test that my regex matches: index=ids | rex \_raw="^\s\|$" and it matches those events.

I created the following in transforms.conf:

[snort_null]  
REGEX = "^\s\|$"  
DEST_KEY = queue  
FORMAT = nullQueue  

And in props.conf:

[snort]  
TRANSFORMS-null = snort_null

I've applied this to both the forwarder and the indexers in the cluster, but the events keep showing up. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills...

What am I doing wrong here?

Thx.

Craig

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Remove the double quotes in transforms.conf - those are necessary for the rex command because it takes a string, but they aren't part of the regex.

khourihan_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@martin_mueller 's answer should work. Also make sure you apply your changes via cluster master's splunk apply cluster-bundle command.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...