Splunk Search

Parse first/last error in an event

icyfeverr
Path Finder

I have an event that has multiple lines, it can have multiple Errors in the event and I need to query either the first or last error from the event. Does anyone know how to do this by chance? I am needing it for a chart to display errors, but the multiple codes are causing the numbers to be skewed.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

icyfeverr
Path Finder

Correct, it is a multiline event using a regex to parse the Start and End on the indexer manually for a transaction in our system. I have stopped working on this piece due to the random number of errors that can be thrown, as there is no consistency.

0 Karma

dart
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

So you could use dedup to find the most recent event:

sourcetype=foo | dedup error_code by host | timechart count by error_code

Does this give you what you need?

0 Karma

icyfeverr
Path Finder

I have stopped working on this piece due to the random number of errors that can be thrown, as there is no consistency. I appreciate the help, but will need to address at a later time after modifications to the logs can be done.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

And this is an example of a single event, not six events?

... | rex "ERROR\]\s?(?<err_msg>[^\r\n]+)"

ought to work..

0 Karma

icyfeverr
Path Finder

[2010-08-12 11:54:56.281][ERROR] [ 4363 ] - User credentials are invalid.
[2010-08-12 11:54:56.281][ERROR]AuthResultUserUnknownException
[2010-08-12 11:54:56.281][ERROR] [ 4370 ] - User ****** is unknown. Auth result code = 15.
[2010-08-12 11:54:56.281][ERROR]AuthInterfaceException
[2010-08-12 11:54:56.281][ERROR] [ 4363 ] - User credentials are invalid.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Can you post an example event?
That will make it easier to create a regex that will grab the first or last error in it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...