Splunk Search

Matching events with same values across different fields

devak
Engager

HI All

I have IP flow based information being ingested into Splunk, which consists of source_ip, source_port, destination_ip, destination_port. 

Occasionally, due to the environmental factors, we get a duplicate log of the flow in the reverse direction. 

E.g.

source_ip                   source_port                    destination_ip                  destination_port

1.1.1.1                        42000                                  2.2.2.2                                     80                     <-  Keep this

2.2.2.2.                        80                                         1.1.1.1                                       42000            <- I would like to discard this 

1.1.1.5                       42300                                  2.2.2.2                                      80

3.3.3.3                       134                                       5.5.5.5.                                      80       

My goal is to identify and ultimately filter out the duplicated entries.

What I am having trouble with is coming up with a query to flag events where there is a duplicate entry (in reverse direction).

I can then filter out the “flagged” duplicate entries where say source_port < destination_port.

I am trying to avoid using computational heavy commands such as nested searches as the data set is quite large. 

Would greatly appreciate some ideas or assistance on how this can be tackled.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If this isn't sufficient

| where source_port>destination_port

try this

| makeresults
| eval _raw="source_ip                   source_port                    destination_ip                  destination_port
1.1.1.1                        42000                                  2.2.2.2                                     80
2.2.2.2                        80                                         1.1.1.1                                       42000
1.1.1.5                       42300                                  2.2.2.2                                      80
3.3.3.3                       134                                       5.5.5.5                                      80"
| multikv forceheader=1
| table source_ip                   source_port                    destination_ip                  destination_port
| eval highport=if(source_port>destination_port,source_ip.":".source_port.",".destination_ip.":".destination_port,destination_ip.":".destination_port.",".source_ip.":".source_port)
| eventstats count by highport
| where count=1 OR highport=source_ip.":".source_port.",".destination_ip.":".destination_port

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If this isn't sufficient

| where source_port>destination_port

try this

| makeresults
| eval _raw="source_ip                   source_port                    destination_ip                  destination_port
1.1.1.1                        42000                                  2.2.2.2                                     80
2.2.2.2                        80                                         1.1.1.1                                       42000
1.1.1.5                       42300                                  2.2.2.2                                      80
3.3.3.3                       134                                       5.5.5.5                                      80"
| multikv forceheader=1
| table source_ip                   source_port                    destination_ip                  destination_port
| eval highport=if(source_port>destination_port,source_ip.":".source_port.",".destination_ip.":".destination_port,destination_ip.":".destination_port.",".source_ip.":".source_port)
| eventstats count by highport
| where count=1 OR highport=source_ip.":".source_port.",".destination_ip.":".destination_port
0 Karma

devak
Engager

Thats fantastic, thank you. 
I really like the way you have solved it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Modern way of developing distributed application using OTel

Recently, I had the opportunity to work on a complex microservice using Spring boot and Quarkus to develop a ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had 3 releases of new security content via the Enterprise Security ...

Archived Metrics Now Available for APAC and EMEA realms

We’re excited to announce the launch of Archived Metrics in Splunk Infrastructure Monitoring for our customers ...