Splunk Search

How to use "rex" instead of "replace" to search for strings with spaces?

maximusdm
Communicator

I was using REPLACE and that works fine until I found out that I cannot search for a string with spaces. For instance, this works great:

index=main sourcetype=access_combined | eval os=useragent
| replace Windows with Windows, Macintosh with Apple, Linux with Linux in os | top limit=3 useother=t os

but this won't work because now I am searching for a string with a space inside it:

source="file001.csv" host="my host" index="index001" sourcetype="csv" Advertiser!=DTV*
| eval sitesection='Site Section'
| replace Android Phone with AndroidPhone, Android Tablet with AndroidTablet in sitesection
| top limit=5 useother=t sitesection

Any ideas how to do this using rex? Thank you

0 Karma
1 Solution

somesoni2
Revered Legend

How about this. Match check for regular expressions, so you can basically put any content that you want to match.

Updated

source="file001.csv" host="my host" index="index001" sourcetype="csv" Advertiser!=DTV* 
| eval sitesection=case(match(sitesection,"Android.*Phone"),"AndroidPhone", match(sitesection,"Android.*Tablet"),"AndroidTablet",1=1,sitesection) 

View solution in original post

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

You can use replace in two ways and both of them should work as far as String with space should be placed within double quotes.

<your base search> | replace "Android Phone" with AndroidPhone, "Android Tablet" with AndroidTablet in sitesection | top limit=5 useother=t sitesection

You can also use replace recursively with eval:

<your base search> | eval sitesection=replace(replace (sitesection,"Android Phone","AndroidPhone"),"Android Tablet","AndroidTablet")| top limit=5 useother=t sitesection

Using Rex to remove spaces within field.

<your base search> | rex mode=sed field=sitesection "s/ //g"|

somesoni2
Revered Legend

How about this. Match check for regular expressions, so you can basically put any content that you want to match.

Updated

| eval sitesection=case(match(sitesection,"Android.*Phone"),"AndroidPhone", match(sitesection,"Android.*Tablet"),"AndroidTablet",1=1,sitesection) 
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Do you mean something like this didn't work? (first line is just to generate sample data)

| gentimes start=-1 | eval sitesection="this is Android Phone here" | table sitesection 
| eval sitesection=case(match(sitesection,"Android Phone"),"AndroidPhone", match(sitesection,"Android Tablet"),"AndroidTablet",1=1,sitesection) 
0 Karma

maximusdm
Communicator

actually the search for a string with a space did not work in this case. I will just use REPLACE with an asterisk in it and it will work.

0 Karma

maximusdm
Communicator

this is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!
ps: my REPLACE method eventually worked too. I tried to post my solution but this site wouldnt let me post more than 2 posts a day....bummer

thank you

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

FWIW, this works in 6.5.1

| makeresults | eval sitesection="Android Phone" | replace "Android Phone" with AndroidPhone in sitesection | table _time sitesection

To the same using rex:

| makeresults | eval sitesection="Android Phone" | rex field=sitesection mode=sed "s/Android Phone/AndroidPhone/" | table _time sitesection
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

maximusdm
Communicator

it didnt work, it says that makeresults must be the first command of a search so I moved it to the top but no luck. Also I need to add other string searches in the same query and the behaviour needs to be like the one in REPLACE, that is if I have the following string: "Testing Android Phone Watch"

I want to look for "Android Phone" and replace the entire string above with "Android" like this:
replace /Android Phone/ with Android

| makeresults    
| eval sitesection="Android Phone" | rex field=sitesection mode=sed "s/Android Phone/AndroidPhone/" 
| eval sitesection="iPhone"               | rex field=sitesection mode=sed "s/iPhone testing/iPhone/" 
| table _time sitesection

PS: removing makeresults seems to replace the string....testing it now

Thanks again

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The makeresult command Rich used was to just generate placeholder to test the rex/replace command. You should replace | makeresults | eval sitesection="Android Phone" with your search.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...