Splunk Search

How to run operations on values from a main search and sub search?

kaphie2002

I have a log file that shows the number of jobs that have been started by an application and the jobs that have been completed. I am trying to determine the jobs that are still running ("Jobs Started" - "Job completed"). I have tried the query below but it is not working:

$Request$ host="host*" Job complete | stats count as var1 | Append [ search $Request$ host="host*" Processing Job | stats count  as var2] |eval diff=var1-var2 | table diff 

Does anyone have ideas on how to accomplish this?

Thanks
Kafayat

0 Karma
1 Solution

elliotproebstel
Champion

I suspect that the subsearch is timing out if you're running it like that - that is to say, without specifying the index and sourcetype. It is enormously inefficient to run a search without specifying index and sourcetype. But maybe $Request$actually contains those; I obviously don't know. So step 1: ensure you are specifying index and sourcetype.

But step two will be to combine the two searches, especially since they both will be searching the same log. Here's a good way to combine them:

index=something sourcetype=whatever $Request$ host="host*" "Job complete" OR "Processing Job"
| stats count(eval(like(_raw, "%Job complete%"))) AS completed_count count(eval(like(_raw, "%Processing Job%"))) AS processing_count
| eval diff=completed_count - processing_count 
| table diff

If the values "Job complete" and "Processing Job" are actually extracted out into a field at search time, you could make this even more efficient by replacing _raw in the stats line with the name of the field that contains those values.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

elliotproebstel
Champion

I suspect that the subsearch is timing out if you're running it like that - that is to say, without specifying the index and sourcetype. It is enormously inefficient to run a search without specifying index and sourcetype. But maybe $Request$actually contains those; I obviously don't know. So step 1: ensure you are specifying index and sourcetype.

But step two will be to combine the two searches, especially since they both will be searching the same log. Here's a good way to combine them:

index=something sourcetype=whatever $Request$ host="host*" "Job complete" OR "Processing Job"
| stats count(eval(like(_raw, "%Job complete%"))) AS completed_count count(eval(like(_raw, "%Processing Job%"))) AS processing_count
| eval diff=completed_count - processing_count 
| table diff

If the values "Job complete" and "Processing Job" are actually extracted out into a field at search time, you could make this even more efficient by replacing _raw in the stats line with the name of the field that contains those values.

0 Karma

kaphie2002

This worked flawlessly! Thank You

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...