Splunk Search

How to remove wild cards/suffix values from values of hostname?

srv007
Path Finder

below is my search query

index="inm_inventory"
|table inventory_date, region, vm_name, version
|dedup vm_name | search vm_name="*old*" OR vm_name="*restore*"

output as below :

srv007_1-1691604249760.png

The challenge here is each vm_name has different suffix added and its not standard since any user adds any comment to to it so it could be anything. how do i perform look for the vm names since lookup file only has hostnames and no suffix.

i have a lookup file named itso.csv which has details like hostname(all in lower case), tier, owner, country. I want to use lookup in my main search for the fields tier, owner, country

srv007_2-1691604279711.png

end requirement is to do lookup for the vm_name in itso.csv file and add details like tier, countrycode, owner in the main search output.

Labels (4)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex field=vm_name "^#*(?<real_vm_name>[a-z0-9]+)"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex field=vm_name "^(?<real_vm_name>[a-z0-9]+)"
| lookup itso.csv hostname as real_vm_name

srv007
Path Finder

This did help actually.
few hosts have entries like ###gbl12344 - old###
anyway to fetch only hostname for such cases?

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Given that no real hostname begins with pound sign, you can use ltrim.

index="inm_inventory"
| eval vm_name = ltrim(mvindex(split(vm_name, " "), 0), "#")

ltrim and split use fixed patterns,  therefore less compute and RAM.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
| rex field=vm_name "^#*(?<real_vm_name>[a-z0-9]+)"
0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I suspect that people got confused by the field name "vm_name".  From your description, this is a free-text field that users can add additional string after the real hostname.  Dealing with human input can be challenging.  It will depend on how careful the user is, what kind of separator they use after hostname, and what characteristics the hostname string may have.

Take the simplest case where the user always added a white space before entering their comments (and that hostname itself doesn't contain white space, and that there is no leading whitespace in the field), you can do

index="inm_inventory"
| eval vm_name = mvindex(split(vm_name, " "), 0)

(I moved table command to last as this can improve performance.  If you want to restrict number of fields carried into dedup command, use fields instead of table.)

0 Karma

srv007
Path Finder

Any guidance/help is appreciated 

0 Karma

srv007
Path Finder

##Note - Also point to be noted that some hostname can be of 6 characters some can be 8 and like so extracting hostname as number of characters might not be suitable.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...