Splunk Search

How to extract a field value to use as a search term for filtering?

pewaubek_reid

Hello,

I need a way to extract/convert a field value to a search condition.

Example:

field_value= "src_ip=192.168.1.1 AND user=Disco"
Search: mysearch NOT 'field_value' ---> which should translate to ---> mysearch NOT (src_ip=192.168.1.1 AND user=Disco)

I know the single quotes don't work. I am wondering if there is any function that helps.

Thanks!

0 Karma

nabeel652
Builder

yoursearch | eval field_value="some value or and expression" | where another_field != $field_value$

0 Karma

pewaubek_reid

The problem with this is that it is still comparing fields and their respective values. The value(s) of 'field_value' can be any combination of field=value and would be dynamic, therefore defining a new field_value using eval wouldn't be efficient as I'd have to account for every possible field=value combination. I think the optimal situation here is to be able to "break out" 'field_value' and insert it into the search string. I would imagine a token + subsearch would work but I can't find a way to use a token inline in a search.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Is the values of "field_value" always similar, means your search condition is always on same fields src_ip and user?

0 Karma

pewaubek_reid

No. It would be dynamic and could be any combination of field=values.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

I may have a workaround if the condition is always in format "field1=value1 AND field2=value2....". Is that the case (all conditions are conjoined by 'AND')?

0 Karma

pewaubek_reid

The condition can be in any combination of field=value so just "field1=value1" or "field1=value1 AND field2=value2 OR field3=value3"... The fields and values would exist independently in the base search, but not the new field containing the field=value pairs/combinations. That's why I'm trying to find a way to change the field=value pairs/combinations from a field value into a search condition/string. Thanks for your attention, any ideas are welcome.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

The field which contains the search condition is available in the raw data of base search(es) itself?

0 Karma

pewaubek_reid

Nope, the new field which I am populating with the dynamic field=value combinations doesn't exist in the raw data. The individual fields & values would exist which is why I need to insert them into the search query. I don't think that would matter anyway as I'm not trying to match field values, I'm trying to insert field=values combinations into search string.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

How are you populating the field which contains the search condition?
It wouldn't have helped if it was part of raw data, but if you're using a lookup OR something get that, there might be a way.

0 Karma

pewaubek_reid

Gotcha. I am using a lookup. The field_value will be dynamically populated with various field=value combinations.

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Would you mind providing your search, which includes the lookup command?

0 Karma

pewaubek_reid

I have a search that doesn't work. Open to ideas...

some_events some_sourcetype NOT [|inputlookup some_lookup.csv]

0 Karma

pewaubek_reid

I received an email alert for another comment here but it isn't showing up. Here it is quoted;

"Try something like this

some_events some_sourcetype NOT [|inputlookup some_lookup.csv | eval search=field_that_contains_conditions | table search ]"

I believe this is just renaming my field in the lookup table to 'search' not actually creating search conditions from the field value. I couldn't find an eval function called "search".

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Try something like this

some_events some_sourcetype NOT [|inputlookup some_lookup.csv | eval search=field_that_contains_conditions | table search ]
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...