Splunk Search

How to extract a dynamic String that is comma delimited (it comes directly after a constant)?

lordhans
Explorer

The Splunk logs I'm working with are big and don't come with any predefined useful fields. I want to extract a dynamic String that is delimited by two commas and comes directly after a constant.

Here is an example:

~someMethodHere,0000-CODE012 ,ClientID,NA,6728233,

The "~someMethodHere,0000-CODE012" will be a constant and is what I am using in the search query. Directly after the constant is a space, then a comma, then the ClientID, then another comma. I want to extract "ClientID". The ClientID is dynamic and can be any letters or numbers. Also, the "~someMethodHere,0000-CODE012 ,ClientID,NA,6728233," example is surrounded by lots of other logging info that is irrelevant to this particular detail.

I think I should use a regex here but I'm not sure how to only start the regex AFTER "~someMethodHere,0000-CODE012 ," and then delimit using the following comma. Would really appreciate any help here.

Thanks!

0 Karma
1 Solution

micahkemp
Champion

~someMethodHere,0000-CODE012 ,(?<client_id>[^,]+),

The only real logic here is [^,] which matches anything except a comma. The regex matches one or more of those characters followed by a comma.

View solution in original post

micahkemp
Champion

~someMethodHere,0000-CODE012 ,(?<client_id>[^,]+),

The only real logic here is [^,] which matches anything except a comma. The regex matches one or more of those characters followed by a comma.

cpetterborg
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The regex for the example data that you have above would likely be something like:

someMethodHere,0000-CODE012 ,(?P<clientid>[^,]*),

Depending on your use of the above regex, you may have to modify it slightly, but if you use a rex command, that should work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...