Splunk Search

How to edit my search to show a line of an average over the last 30 days on a column graph?

SecureIA
Path Finder

Hi helpful people,

I wish to display on a column graph an average line for my search. My current search is as follows:-

host=CATSG14 "INTGWAUTH" AND "Failed login" earliest=-30d@d latest=now | timechart span=1d count

Is there anyway to show an average bar on the graph? Any help will be truly appreciated.

1 Solution

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, there are lots of ways. A simple way would be to use trendline:

host=CATSG14 "INTGWAUTH" AND "Failed login" earliest=-30d@d latest=now 
| timechart span=1h count
| trendline sma5(count) as 5hour_average

You can change the 5 of sma5 to something else, e.g. a 24 hour average with | trendline sma24(count)

Docs for trendline can be found here.

View solution in original post

aljohnson_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Yes, there are lots of ways. A simple way would be to use trendline:

host=CATSG14 "INTGWAUTH" AND "Failed login" earliest=-30d@d latest=now 
| timechart span=1h count
| trendline sma5(count) as 5hour_average

You can change the 5 of sma5 to something else, e.g. a 24 hour average with | trendline sma24(count)

Docs for trendline can be found here.

SecureIA
Path Finder

thanks for your reply aljohnson!! I tried this, however I simply get another bar instead of a trendline 😕

0 Karma

SecureIA
Path Finder

Thanks alot guys, I managed this 🙂

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

You would have to select the overlay option to set the new field as overlay field. See here

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1/Viz/Chartcontrols#Chart_overlay_example_.28dual_axis...

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...