Splunk Search

How to edit my search to find the total count for three different actions?

splunkman341
Communicator

Hi guys,

I wanted to know how I would go about getting the total count for each document action over the past 30 days. The document actions are as follows:

BROWSE DOCUMENTS

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

As @bmacias84 implied, you put it together like this:

index=doccloud_main sourcetype=doccloud_sb | rex "documentcloud\.rs\.services\.(?<service>[^\.]+)\.(?<document_action>[^\(]+)" | stats count by document_action

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

As @bmacias84 implied, you put it together like this:

index=doccloud_main sourcetype=doccloud_sb | rex "documentcloud\.rs\.services\.(?<service>[^\.]+)\.(?<document_action>[^\(]+)" | stats count by document_action

splunkman341
Communicator

I tried to put it together with the document actions as mentioned, and the search did not work. I get the error mesage

Error in 'rex' command: Encountered the following error while compiling the regex '(?<service>EmployeeDocumentServicesImpl\.(?<document_action>listDocuments()|getDocumentPDF()|getDocument()[^\(]+)': Regex: missing )

The code i tried to execute is as follows:

index=doccloud_main sourcetype=doccloud_sb | rex "(?<service>EmployeeDocumentServicesImpl\.(?<document_action>listDocuments()|getDocumentPDF()|getDocument()[^\(]+)" | stats count by document_action
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

I should have tested his RegEx. This works:

documentcloud\.rs\.services\.(?<service>[^\.]+)\.(?<document_action>[^\(]+)

I have updated my answer.

splunkman341
Communicator

I was kind of wondering if I could tweak this further(graphically) so it displays each of the actions mentioned above on a day-to-day basis. For example, it would show a count of how many documents added, updated, downloaded, view, e.t.c daily.

Is that possible?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, like this:

index=doccloud_main sourcetype=doccloud_sb | rex "documentcloud.rs.services.(?[^.]+).(?[^(]+)" | timechart span=1d count by document_action

splunkman341
Communicator

I get one giant bar of null when executing:

index=doccloud_main sourcetype=doccloud_sb | rex "documentcloud\.rs\.services\.(?<service>[^\.]+)\.(?<document_action>[^\(]+)" | timechart span=1d count by document_action

I think it just added everything into one bar

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Did you run your search for more than 1 day? I told it to bucket by days. If you would like to run a shorter search and bucket by hours, switch span=1d to span=1h.

splunkman341
Communicator

I tried for one day and for 30 days and get the same result. I want the total count of each action on a day to day basis for the past 30 days.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The problem is probably your scale; one of the values ( null ?) is so large that it drowns out the other bars. Change the Y-axis format from "linear" to "log" and you should see all the bars. If it is null that is killing you, you can strip it out like this:

index=doccloud_main sourcetype=doccloud_sb | rex "documentcloud\.rs\.services\.(?<service>[^\.]+)\.(?<document_action>[^\(]+)" | where isnotnull(document_action) | timechart span=1d count by document_action

splunkman341
Communicator

WORKS BETTER THAN A DREAM!

0 Karma

splunkman341
Communicator

EXCELLENT!!!

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

@splunkman341, Your regex is invalid. ( and ) are part of the regex syntax used for group you have to escape them. I recommend that you visit http://www.regular-expressions.info. If you would like service checkout my update regex statement.

0 Karma

splunkman341
Communicator

EmployeeDocumentServicesImp.getDocument() is one of the three actions

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

@splunkman341, If you simply looking for a regex that will extract document action the following will work.

...| rex field=_raw "EmployeeDocumentServicesImpl\.(?<document_action>[^\(]+)" | stats count by document_action

Updated to include service as extracted group.

...| rex field=_raw "rs\.services\.(?<service>[^\.]+)\.(?<document_action>[^\(]+)" | stats count by document_action

Both work on all samples provided and match in under 25 steps.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...