Splunk Search

How to edit my search to chart the count of how many sources were indexed in the last hour?

shahzadarif
Path Finder

I want to create a scheduled report that would count how many log files we’ve received in last hour. This is what I’ve written:

tstats dc(source) as "source" where index=“myindex”

Its working well, but I can’t figure out how to create a chart from it. I’ve tried chart and timechart commands, but I must be doing something wrong. I want it to run against the data for last 48 hours and I want the chart to have a span of 1 hour so I can see/show how many log files Splunk is getting in that one hour.

0 Karma
1 Solution

pradeepkumarg
Influencer
| tstats dc(source) as source where index=my_index by _time span=1h

View solution in original post

pradeepkumarg
Influencer
| tstats dc(source) as source where index=my_index by _time span=1h

shahzadarif
Path Finder

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for!
My next question which I hope you can help. Would it be possible to re-write the date timestamps its giving in the output? Timestamp is like 2016-09-03T13:00:00.000. I want to re-write them so it displays just the hour for example 13:00 or 13h. In the chart you can't read the time unless you hover your mouse over a part of the chart. Thanks.

0 Karma

pradeepkumarg
Influencer

Now that you have the _time field in your result set, you can use timechart command. Append below to your search

| timechart span=1h avg(source) as source

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...