Splunk Search

How to edit my regex to extract this value from my data?

ibekacyril
Explorer

This should be an easy thing to do but obviously, I am missing it. I need to extract "cannot be located"

c.f.a.k.m.SessionDaoImpl - The owner with id: s3498-34ef-034456d-c65a5678-fcd4-11e5-a5d4f cannot be located

[2016-04-07 15:41:44,760]​

Here is my code:

my search | rex  "c\.f\.a\.k\.m\.SessionDaoImpl\s\-\sThe\sowner\swith\sid:\s[\w+\d+]\s(?<captureThis>\w+)"\[

Thanks in advance

0 Karma
1 Solution

javiergn
Super Champion

Try this instead:

my search 
| rex "(?msi):\s+[\w\-]+\s+(?<message>[\w\s]+)"

And then use the message variable as you wish.

EDIT to include code description as requested:

(?msi) --> support for multiline, "single line mode" makes the dot match all characters including line breaks, case insensitive
:\s+ --> find a colon followed by multiple blank spaces
[\w\-]+\s+ --> Look for 1 or more alphanumerical characters or hyphens followed by 1 or more blanks
(?<message>[\w\s]+) --> capture in the token message 1 or more alphanumerical or blank space characters

View solution in original post

javiergn
Super Champion

Try this instead:

my search 

And then use the message variable as you wish.

EDIT to include code description as requested:

(?msi) --> support for multiline, "single line mode" makes the dot match all characters including line breaks, case insensitive
:\s+ --> find a colon followed by multiple blank spaces
[\w\-]+\s+ --> Look for 1 or more alphanumerical characters or hyphens followed by 1 or more blanks
(?<message>[\w\s]+) --> capture in the token message 1 or more alphanumerical or blank space characters

ibekacyril
Explorer

Hi javiergn, I am only able to extract doesn. Could you explain you code too?
Thanks

0 Karma

ibekacyril
Explorer

Just tweaked it and got "doesn't exist" by adding \'. How can I tweak it to get:
The owner with id doesn't exist

Thanks

0 Karma

javiergn
Super Champion

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean. For instance, if I run the following in order to replicate your logs:

| stats count
| eval _raw ="c.f.a.k.m.SessionDaoImpl - The owner with id: s3498-34ef-034456d-c65a5678-fcd4-11e5-a5d4f cannot be located [2016-04-07 15:41:44,760]​"
| table message

I get the output:

Isn't that what you are trying to achieve?
If not, can you post your whole query here so that we can investigate a bit more?

Thanks,
J

0 Karma

ibekacyril
Explorer

Hi J, I finally got it working. Thanks, it was my mistake

0 Karma

ibekacyril
Explorer

Hi J, is there a way of combining two rex searches together say the first one like above and then I have this second rex "[Status] .+? - (?.+)" | code that combines message and output into one name (outMessage)

0 Karma

javiergn
Super Champion

You could do something like:

your search here
| rex "\[Status\] .+?\-(?<output>.+)"
| eval outMessage = message + output

Careful with your regex by the way. If you don't escape the special characters it won't work as expected.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...