Splunk Search

How to edit my eventstats search to return a count of failed authentications greater than ten within a ten minute window?

jph11

Been working on a report to show the best data on authentications failed more than ten times in a time span of 10 mins.

Am I headed the right direction? I'm just questioning my count in the table whether or not it is correct:

index=wineventlog action=failure user!=*$ signature!="Kerberos pre-authentication failed" signature!="A Kerberos authentication ticket (TGT) was requested"  | eventstats count(user) as failure_count by src_ip | bucket _time span=10m |  where failure_count>10 | dedup src_ip |table user user_first user_last signature, src_ip, failure_count | rename user as User, user_first as "First Name" , user_last as "Last Name" , signature as "Failure Reason" , src_ip as "Source IP" , failure_count as Count

Appreciate any and all help.

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Move the bucket to before the eventstas and group eventstats by _time as well. Like this

index=wineventlog action=failure user!=*$ signature!="Kerberos pre-authentication failed" signature!="A Kerberos authentication ticket (TGT) was requested"  | bucket _time span=10m | eventstats count(user) as failure_count by _time src_ip | where failure_count>10 | dedup src_ip | table user user_first user_last signature, src_ip, failure_count | rename user as User, user_first as "First Name" , user_last as "Last Name" , signature as "Failure Reason" , src_ip as "Source IP" , failure_count as Count
0 Karma

jph11

I think this is close, but comparing my numbers in the count field to raw events it seems way off.
I had been using just stats but needed more info in the table. Heres the stats command I was using that i felt was accurate

Thoughts?

index=wineventlog OR index=cisco_auth action=failure user!=*$ signature!="Kerberos pre-authentication failed" signature!="A Kerberos authentication ticket (TGT) was requested" | stats  count by user,signature,src_ip| where  count > 10 |  bucket _time span=10m |
0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Here the difference between the two searches..

In the search I provided, the count is grouped by _time (10m increment) and src_ip

and in your search the count is grouped by user, signature and src_ip (more group by fields and no time field)

To check the count, try this search

index=wineventlog action=failure user!=*$ signature!="Kerberos pre-authentication failed" signature!="A Kerberos authentication ticket (TGT) was requested"  | timechart span=10m count as failure_count by src_ip
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...