Splunk Search

How to check a value of a field in a subsequent event?

wsadowy1
Explorer

I was wondering if it is possible to check what's the value of a field in the next event.
Say I have an index with a field called "shift_start".
I would like to create an eval field called "next_shift_start" which would contain the shift_start value from the subsequent event.
I hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance.

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

wsadowy1
Explorer

Brilliant! However for some reason it gives me a previous value in one field and a next value in another. Namely - it will give me the previous shift_start, but subsequent log_date_time. Not sure why

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

It all depends on the settings.

0 Karma

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

A logon script generates an event every time a user logs into the desktop. Here are the sample events in Splunk from those events -

user_A;05/10/13 10:15:01 AM;field1="cat";field2="mouse"
user_B;05/10/13 09:01:01 AM;field1="cat";field2="mouse"
user_A;05/09/13 09:05:01 AM;field1="mouse";field2="horse"
user_B;05/09/13 09:01:01 AM;field1="cat";field2="mouse"
user_A;05/08/13 11:05:01 AM;field1="mouse";field2="horse"

I want to be able to generate a report when "field1" changes per user, even compared to the last event. In this case I want a report that lists the event "user_A;05/10/13 10:15:01 AM;field1="cat";field2="mouse". Any help would be appreciated.

you base search | streamstats current=f window=1 global=f last(field1) as last_field1 by user | where field1!=last_field1

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/87382/comparing-fields-with-previous-events.html

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

Try this

your base search | streamstats window=1 current=f values(shift_start) as next_shift_start by employee

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.4.3/SearchReference/Streamstats

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...