Splunk Search

How edit my search to get a chart of bin counts over time?

viraptor

I'd like to create a chart of bin counts over time (with a span defined). Right now, I can get the result over the whole time period using:

... | stats count by clientip | bin count as bins | stats count by bins

How can I change this to get a chart of bin counts over time?

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Is this what you're looking for?

... | timechart distinctcount(bin)

Or

... | timechart count(bin)

Maybe

... | streamstats count(bin) as bincount by clientip _time | timechart bincount by clientip

Or

... | timechart span=1w count by clientip

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@viraptor... You would need to retain the _time field after your first stats command runs. So you can use min(_time) or max(_time) function to retain the same and pass that on to timechart to plot count of bins over _time.

| stats count min(_time) as _time by clientip 
| bin count as bins 
| timechart count by bins

viraptor

That's not really what I'm after. This will give me the time of the first request for a given clientip. It may approximate what I'm after, but the difference matters in my case. I want the results analysed for each (for example) 15 min span separately.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

Are you looking for somthing like the following?

| stats count min(_time) as _time max(_time) as MaxTime by clientip 
 | eval duration=MaxTime-_time 
 | bin count as bins 
 | table _time bins duration

You might need to post-process and show duration via Timeline visualization and count via simple timechart.

Anyways. Let me also convert my Answer to comment so that others can pitch in with their answers/opinions.

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...