Splunk Search

How do you search an inputlookup for the results of your query?

DdanielbriemB

I'm a little stumped with what I am trying to achieve with the lookup of values from a CSV, which are based on the search results I get when performing a search.

CSV is defined as an inputlookup and contains field1,field2

When I search, I will have a value returned that is in the format of field1 in the CSV. And, I would like to display the corresponding field2 in my search results. For example: username,displayname.

I've looked at the inputlookup and lookup documentation, but am unsure on how to pass results or filter a subqueries results for the value.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Searching a lookup file named foo.csv that contains "field1" and "field2" is simply ... | lookup foo.csv field1 OUTPUT field2.
This means you will need a field called "field1" before calling lookup. The SPL for that is index=myindex field1="*" | lookup foo.csv field1 OUTPUT field2.
What if your events don't have a field called "field1"? The lookup command allows for that as in this example

index=myindex username="*" | lookup foo.csv field1 as username OUTPUT field2 as displayname | table username displayname
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...