Splunk Search

How do you MVZIP more than one field?

brajaram
Communicator

My data is in JSON format, and contains arrays of JSON data that can be from 1 to N blocks. In this JSON, fields can have the same value across the blocks.

If I have 3 multivalue fields across those blocks, how do I combine them? With mvzip, I can combine two. This lets me parse out the specific value for another value.

FieldA                    FieldB                    FieldC
Quick                     Brown                     Fox
Jumped                    Brown                     Fox
Over                      Brown                     The

So if I wanted to find all values of FieldA that corresponded to Brown Fox, then I want to be able to zip up FIeldA+FieldB+FieldC, then look for the specific combination of Brown and Fox. For 2 fields, I have done this with mvzip. How do I do this with three fields?

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

vnravikumar
Champion

Hi

Try this

| makeresults 
| eval FieldA="Quick,Jumped,Over", FieldB="Brown,Brown,Brown", FieldC="Fox,Fox,The" 
| makemv delim="," FieldA 
| makemv delim="," FieldB 
| makemv delim="," FieldC 
| stats list(FieldA) as FieldA,list(FieldB) as FieldB,list(FieldC) as FieldC 
| eval temp=mvzip(FieldA,mvzip(FieldB,FieldC))

View solution in original post

jaxjohnny2000
Builder

I know this is an old topic, but i recently had the same issue.  So maybe it will help someone else. 

the mvzip takes 2 required and one optional parameter.  You can only combine two fields at a time, followed by any character as a delimiter.  in the example below, I use a pipe character |

But i have discovered, you can nest the mvzip and then extract them out

so for your example using FieldA, FieldB, and FieldC

A simple mvzip would be:
| eval combined_data=mvzip(FieldA,FieldB,"|")

and that's it, but wait there's more, proceed with nesting

| eval combined_data=mvzip(mvzip(FieldA,FieldB,"|"),FieldC,"|")

next expand the mv field

| mvexpand combined_data

Finally, extract the fields in the same order you combined them:

| rex field=combined_data "^(?<FieldA>[^|]*)\|(?<FieldB>[^|]*)\|(?<FieldC>[^|]*)"

vnravikumar
Champion

Hi

Try this

| makeresults 
| eval FieldA="Quick,Jumped,Over", FieldB="Brown,Brown,Brown", FieldC="Fox,Fox,The" 
| makemv delim="," FieldA 
| makemv delim="," FieldB 
| makemv delim="," FieldC 
| stats list(FieldA) as FieldA,list(FieldB) as FieldB,list(FieldC) as FieldC 
| eval temp=mvzip(FieldA,mvzip(FieldB,FieldC))

brajaram
Communicator

Thanks for the help. I didn't realize I could use mvzip inside of an mvzip. Once I did that, it worked fine to find the specific cases we needed. Thanks!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...