Splunk Search

How do I evaluate on column in space and tab delimited logs?

HelloItsMe76
Explorer

Hello all.

I have a log file that looks like this;

PROCESS UP STATUS RESTARTS AGE
PROCESS1 2/2 Running 0 6d19h
PROCESS2aaa 2/2 Completed 0 7d6h
PROCESS3 0/1 Running 6 6d19h

I am trying to evaluate on the RESTART colum. The length of the process name is not consistent and some files are tab delimited and some are space delimited. 

I cant get my rex command to work. Any help would be very appreciated. 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

| rex "(?<PROCESS>\S+)\s+(?<UP>\S+)\s+(?<STATUS>\S+)\s+(?<RESTARTS>\S+)\s+(?<AGE>\S+)"
0 Karma

HelloItsMe76
Explorer

Hey, thanks for the reply. that basically just returns whats already there. I would like to show the data as a table and be able to filter and return rows where, for example, AGE <2. At the moment it doesnt seem to recognise that data as a table and hence i cant filter on AGE, or other columns.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the rex is not extracting the fields (which would be shown as columns in a table), then the rex expression (based on your sample data) does not match your real data.

Please provide an accurate representation of your actual event data, preferably in a code block </> to reduce formatting corruption.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...