Splunk Search

How do I evaluate on column in space and tab delimited logs?

HelloItsMe76
Explorer

Hello all.

I have a log file that looks like this;

PROCESS UP STATUS RESTARTS AGE
PROCESS1 2/2 Running 0 6d19h
PROCESS2aaa 2/2 Completed 0 7d6h
PROCESS3 0/1 Running 6 6d19h

I am trying to evaluate on the RESTART colum. The length of the process name is not consistent and some files are tab delimited and some are space delimited. 

I cant get my rex command to work. Any help would be very appreciated. 

Labels (2)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try something like this

| rex "(?<PROCESS>\S+)\s+(?<UP>\S+)\s+(?<STATUS>\S+)\s+(?<RESTARTS>\S+)\s+(?<AGE>\S+)"
0 Karma

HelloItsMe76
Explorer

Hey, thanks for the reply. that basically just returns whats already there. I would like to show the data as a table and be able to filter and return rows where, for example, AGE <2. At the moment it doesnt seem to recognise that data as a table and hence i cant filter on AGE, or other columns.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If the rex is not extracting the fields (which would be shown as columns in a table), then the rex expression (based on your sample data) does not match your real data.

Please provide an accurate representation of your actual event data, preferably in a code block </> to reduce formatting corruption.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I’m short for "configuration file.” What am I?

May 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with a Special ...

New Articles from Academic Learning Partners, Help Expand Lantern’s Use Case Library, ...

Splunk Lantern is a Splunk customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...