Splunk Search

Help with a nested search not returning any data

lamelendrez
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I am running a nested search but does not return any data.

However, when I run the search separately it does.

The full search with no results is:

index="f5-default" [search index="cisco_asa" host="192.168.5.x" dest_ip="172.16.5.57" 
| stats count by session_id src_ip | where count=2 | dedup src_ip | rename src_ip as IP | table IP]

But my first search:

index="cisco_asa" host="192.168.5.2" dest_ip="172.16.5.57" src_ip!="208.94.147.100" src_ip="40.77.167.108"

| stats count by session_id src_ip | where count=2 | dedup src_ip | rename src_ip as IP | table IP

or

index="f5-default" 

I get events.

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Your search assumes that the field with the IPAddress in index="f5-default" is named IP which evidently it is not (otherwise it would DEFINITELY work). Fix the | rename src_ip AS IP to the correct field name.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Your search assumes that the field with the IPAddress in index="f5-default" is named IP which evidently it is not (otherwise it would DEFINITELY work). Fix the | rename src_ip AS IP to the correct field name.

0 Karma

arjunpkishore5
Motivator

Does the index f5-default have a field named IP?

You could try getting your subsearch to return a plain text filter like this

index="f5-default" [search index="cisco_asa" host="192.168.5.x" dest_ip="172.16.5.57"
  | stats count by session_id src_ip 
  | where count=2 
  | dedup src_ip 
  | fields src_ip
  | rename src_ip as search]

Documentation here - https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/SplunkCloud/8.0.0/Search/Changetheformatofsubsearchresults

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Subsearches become literal text in their main searches. If the subsearch results in 3 IP addresses like 10.2.3.4, 10.3.4.5, 10.4.5.6 then the full search will be index="f5-default 10.2.3.4 10.3.4.5 10.4.5.6 which means all three IP addresses have to be present in an event to show up. Try this query:

| stats count by session_id src_ip | where count=2 | dedup src_ip | rename src_ip as IP | fields IP | format]

The format command adds OR operators between the results so you get a final search that looks like index="f5-default (IP=10.2.3.4 OR IP=10.3.4.5 OR IP=10.4.5.6), which should work better.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...