Splunk Search

Help with Reporting

efelder0
Communicator

Need a little assistance with reporting. I am currently indexing multiple anti-virus reports into SPlunk daily and are receiving these reports from various Regions globally. (i.e. North America, South America, Europe).

However, I would build 3 seperate reports based on the unique regions.

Report 1 - North America
Report 2 - South America
Report 3 - Europe

Would an EVAL (IF) or CASE statement work here. Here is a subset of the fields that are being indexed: Region Country Location Sub Location

Thoughts?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

You could write a macro that does the reporting and then invoke it along with your selection criteria. For example,
imagine that your macro is named av_summary and contains something like this

sourcetype=av* plus other search terms
| cool transformations here
| stats count by virus sublocation location country
| other cool reporting or charting

You could invoke the macro like this in the search bar

region="Europe" `av_summary`

You could even save a search for each region. But since the underlying macro would be shared, you would have only one place to update the actual report.

It's easy to create a macro, just go to Manager>>Advanced Search>>Macros

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If you want three unique reports you'll need three unique searches, or a form to fill in a region variable.

0 Karma

efelder0
Communicator

I suppose I could setup 3 unique searches and include the statement 'search Region = "North America" and change my output.csv statement.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What's stopping you from filtering by Region=<report region here> in the search?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...