Splunk Search

Grouping in the where clause

cliffennis

I'm needing to use multiple AND's and OR's in my where clause and the way I'm writing it is giving me inconsistent results.

The data I'm searching is sendmail logs and I'm getting the "from" and "to" fields for emails. The results I need are where the emails are sent from the domains @example1.com or @example2.com and the recipient is NOT in the domain @foobar1.com or @foobar2.com.

How I though it would go is like this, where the first 2 are grouped together then the second 2 are grouped together... like sql:

sourcetype=mail_log | transaction qid | where (like(from, "%@example1.com") OR like(from, "%@example2.com")) AND (like(to, "%@foobar1.com") OR like(to, "%@foobar2.com"))

This returns a "search job has failed" error.

I also tried to just pipe it to another where clause like this:

sourcetype=mail_log | transaction qid    | where like(from, "%@example1.com")    OR like(from, "%@example2.com") |    where like(to, "%@foobar1.com") OR    like(to, "%@foobar2.com")

But this gave me inconsistent results.

What is the proper way to write this out?

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

I thought the recipient didn’t contain foobar1 or foobar2? Your searches are showing where they are containing those domains.

Try something like

sourcetype=mail_log | transaction qid | where (like(from, "%@example1.com") OR like(from, "%@example2.com")) NOT like(to, "%@foobar1.com") NOT like(to, "%@foobar2.com")

Or

sourcetype=mail_log | transaction qid |eval delete=case(like(to, "%@foobar1.com") OR like(to, "%@foobar2.com"),0,like(from, "%@example1.com") OR like(from, "%@example2.com"),1)|search keep=1
0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

You eval to the delete field and then filter for the keep field, that won't work I guess 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...