Path Finder

Let's say I have log records that look like this

Field 1     Field 2
ABC         XYZ
ABC         KLM
XYZ         ABC         
ABC         XYZ
KLM         KLM

I want to get the number of ABCs and also the number XYZs regardless of what field they're in, and ignore anything else. So results would look like this:

Value     Count
ABC       4
XYZ       3

My current search is below, but it won't total correctly if field1 AND field2 both have an ABC or XYZ.

search * 
| eval value=case(match(field1,"^[ABC|XYZ]",field1,match(field2,"^[ABC|XYZ]",field2)
|count by value

It's probably incredibly easy, but I can't figure it out.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could create four individual counts like this

...  | stats count(eval(f1=="ABC")) as abc_1 count(eval(f2=="ABC")) as abc_2 count(eval(f1=="XYZ")) as xyz_1 count(eval(f2=="XYZ")) as xyz_2

and then add each pair together to get your two counts.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could create four individual counts like this

...  | stats count(eval(f1=="ABC")) as abc_1 count(eval(f2=="ABC")) as abc_2 count(eval(f1=="XYZ")) as xyz_1 count(eval(f2=="XYZ")) as xyz_2

and then add each pair together to get your two counts.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...