Splunk Search

Fix JSON format by replacing single quote and put into new field

LearningGuy
Builder

Hello,
| dbxquery connection=test query="select employee_data from company"
The following employee_data is not in proper JSON format, so I can't use spath.
How do I replace single quote (') with double quote ("), replace None with "None" and put it on a new field?
Thank you for your help.

employee_data
[{company':'company A','name': 'employee A1','position': None}, {company': 'company A','name': 'employee A2','position': None}]
[{company':'company B','name': 'employee B1','position': None}, {company': 'company B','name': 'employee B2','position': None}]
[{company':'company C','name': 'employee C1','position': None}, {company': 'company C','name': 'employee C2','position': None}]

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

dtburrows3
Builder

More of just an additional screenshot for context and a fieldname with a description of the eval that was done to it... but I see that is has caused some confusion.

Here is full search of the local emulation.

| makeresults
    | eval
        employee_data="[{'company':'company A','name': 'employee A1','position': None}, {'company': 'company A','name': 'employee A2','position': None}]"
    | append
        [
            | makeresults
                | eval
                    employee_data="[{'company':'company B','name': 'employee B1','position': None}, {'company': 'company B','name': 'employee B2','position': None}]"
            ]
    | append
        [
            | makeresults
                | eval
                    employee_data="[{'company':'company C','name': 'employee C1','position': None}, {'company': 'company C','name': 'employee C2','position': None}]"
            ]
    | eval
        formatted_data=replace(replace(employee_data, "\'", "\""), "None", "\"None\"")
    | spath input=formatted_data

View solution in original post

LearningGuy
Builder

Hello,
Which part of your search that put the into a new field "formatted_data"?
I don't see "formatted_data" in the search.
Can you paste the whole search including how you put simulated data?

Thank you for your help.

Thanks

0 Karma

dtburrows3
Builder

More of just an additional screenshot for context and a fieldname with a description of the eval that was done to it... but I see that is has caused some confusion.

Here is full search of the local emulation.

| makeresults
    | eval
        employee_data="[{'company':'company A','name': 'employee A1','position': None}, {'company': 'company A','name': 'employee A2','position': None}]"
    | append
        [
            | makeresults
                | eval
                    employee_data="[{'company':'company B','name': 'employee B1','position': None}, {'company': 'company B','name': 'employee B2','position': None}]"
            ]
    | append
        [
            | makeresults
                | eval
                    employee_data="[{'company':'company C','name': 'employee C1','position': None}, {'company': 'company C','name': 'employee C2','position': None}]"
            ]
    | eval
        formatted_data=replace(replace(employee_data, "\'", "\""), "None", "\"None\"")
    | spath input=formatted_data

LearningGuy
Builder

Hello,

I tested your solution and it worked.    Thank you for your help. 
1) if I put eval on employee_data, will it change the original data?
2) I apply the solution on the real data and I got the following error. How do I fix this without increasing memory limit?
command.mvexpand: output will be truncated at 1000 results due to excessive memory usage. Memory threshold of 500MB as configured in limits.conf / [mvexpand] / max_mem_usage_mb has been reached

0 Karma

dural_yyz
Communicator

It sounds like the original data has too many lines/events.  You may want to implement EventBreaker or LineBreak in your props.conf on the ingest before you need to apply any search time eval or mvexpand.

0 Karma

dtburrows3
Builder

Maybe something like this?

<base_search>
    | eval
        employee_data=replace(replace(employee_data, "\'", "\""), "None", "\"None\"")
    | spath input=employee_data

Testing on my local instance looks like it worked out.

dtburrows3_0-1705532665943.png

dtburrows3_2-1705532793823.png

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...