Splunk Search

Find duplicate events for a pattern that occurred in the same timestamp

gbehl

My requirement is to find duplicate events for a pattern that occurred in the same 'second' of timestamp after stripping the millisecond value.

queries that I tried but didn't give me 100% success:

search_pattern | timechart span=1s count | where count >1

search_pattern | timechart span=1s count | where count >1 | table _time, _raw

Not sure if 'eventcount summarize=false' or 'eventstats' would be of any help here.

P.S. I've recently started on splunk hence my knowledge is limited but I can work with pointers and do hit n trial approach.

Any pointers are appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

search_pattern | bin span=1s _time | eventstats count AS duplicate_count BY _raw | search duplicate_count > 1
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try (would be very resource intensive so run for small time ranges)

search_pattern | bucket span=1s _time | stats count first(_raw) as raw by _time | where count>1 | rename raw as _raw
0 Karma

gbehl

It works fine except the fact that it picks the first row and ignores the other rows. After running this query, I realized that there are some exceptions in data where I would need all the _raw rows which I can get by doing an extra click. I can live with that for now.

Thanks a lot!

0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

This query is written to collect first row (as we assume they're all same, may be different millisecond). If you want all _raw data in the result, simply replace first(_raw) with values(_raw) (to get unique raw events) OR list(_raw) to get all raw events.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...