Splunk Search

Extracting number of fields from a multi line event

hiwell
Explorer

Hello,

I am trying to extract fields from an event which looks like this (I have multiple events)

total time (ms): 5 
web server processing time (ms/%): 2 40 
transmission time (ms/%): 3 60 
bytes sent/received: 100 200 
start time (ms): 1234 
end time(ms): 2345

some lines have one field, and other have two fields making it impossible for me to extract these numbers. I would like splunk to create two separate fields for the lines which have two parameters but I have not been successful in doing so. Anyone have any idea(s) to get this to work? Or is this not possible. Thanks!

0 Karma

hiwell
Explorer

I ended up writing a script to pre-process the file to make the data Splunk-friendly.

0 Karma

katalinali
Path Finder

You may need to break every line as an event and define two regex like:

REGEX...:(\d+)\s+(\d+) FORMAT=field1::$1 field2::$2

REGEX=...:(\d+) FORMAT=field3::$1

hiwell
Explorer

😞 it definitely pulls out a few of the fields but its very redundant and the regexes triggers for all the events giving a lot of garbage fields. Thanks though! This could be useful for other cases

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...