Splunk Search

Day of Week in Columns to Match Day of Week and Return Results

CSULeigh
Explorer

In my lookup table, I have the days of the week as columns with "Y" or "N" in the field (not able to change this as this is how the data is provided). I would like to return only the results from the lookup table that matches the day of the week and the day of the week columns with "Y". 

I have been looking at using IF statements and Where clauses, but not really getting it. The data columns look like this:

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
YNYNNNN
NYNYNYN

I have been extracting the day by using dayOfWeek=strftime(_time, "%a") from the imbeded search query:

| inputlookup somecsv.csv
| join email [search index=someindex | eval dayOfWeek=strftime(_time, "%a")]
| table or stats (data from inputlookup that matches the days of the week from the search)

This is where I get stuck. Any help will be greatly appreciated. 

Labels (5)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Nisha18789
Builder

Hi @CSULeigh , not sure if I understand the  ask completely, but have you tried 

| join type=outer dayOfWeek [search index=someindex | eval dayOfWeek=strftime(_time, "%a")|eval found=1]

|where isnotnull(found)

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
Is the table shown an example lookup table? If so, how are the multiple rows for each day to be interpreted?
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

CSULeigh
Explorer

Yes the table is an example. There is more data to the tables. Basically anything with a "Y" marked on the day column is when the class will be available. This lookup table has the class data and need to return the class data based on a search of survey data from an index that will have the day that needs to match the lookup data based on the day. I hope this helps.

0 Karma

Nisha18789
Builder

Hi @CSULeigh , not sure if I understand the  ask completely, but have you tried 

| join type=outer dayOfWeek [search index=someindex | eval dayOfWeek=strftime(_time, "%a")|eval found=1]

|where isnotnull(found)

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...