Date_Hour Question

_gkollias
Builder

Hi All,

I have a search which I am adding date_hour to a table:

...| stats count as 1week_ago_count by qos, date_hour

When the data is on the table, the date and time show as the following:

09/10/2013 00:00:00:000

Is there a way to clean up those zeros; either getting rid of them or adding actual time?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

zeroactive
Path Finder

From what I understand, "date_hour" should just contain the # of the hour for the event, ie if the event occured at 05:23:18, "date_hour" should contain "5" (maybe "05").

You could get the same result by doing the following:

... | eval mytime=_time | convert timeformat="%H ctime(mytime) | stats count as 1week_ago_count, avg(mytime) by qos

That will copy the event _time field value into "mytime" which you can then format to include just the "hour" part of the time value (%H).

"stats" wants to do calculations on fields, so I provided the "average" value for mytime in the query above. Because this you may want to use "table" instead of "stats".

View solution in original post

0 Karma

lguinn2
Legend

I'm going to propose a new answer, because I got lost in the other thread.

I never use the date_* fields. For one thing, they don't always exist. More importantly, they are derived directly from the text in the event, so they don't consider timezone!

Whenever I want to manipulate time, I compute what I need. I usually use thestrftime function, although I guess convert might work as well.

I would write your search as

index=esb_hourly_summary_prf source=esb_hourly_summary_prf earliest=-7d@w0 latest=@w0 
| localop 
| lookup host_info_lookup host as orig_host 
| eval hour = strftime(_time,"%H")
| stats count as 1week_ago_count, date_hour by qos hour

If what you want is to preserve the entire date, but truncate the minutes and seconds, try this

index=esb_hourly_summary_prf source=esb_hourly_summary_prf earliest=-7d@w0 latest=@w0 
| localop 
| bucket _time span=1h
| stats count as 1week_ago_count, date_hour by qos _time

Or even

| localop 
| timechart span=1h count as 1week_ago_count, date_hour by qos

_gkollias
Builder

I think the original question I had actually has nothing to do with date_hour, etc.. but with info_min_time and info_max_time..That would be what is linked to the date and time with the 00:00:00:000 I have shown above. Either way your answers have been very helpful!

0 Karma

zeroactive
Path Finder

From what I understand, "date_hour" should just contain the # of the hour for the event, ie if the event occured at 05:23:18, "date_hour" should contain "5" (maybe "05").

You could get the same result by doing the following:

... | eval mytime=_time | convert timeformat="%H ctime(mytime) | stats count as 1week_ago_count, avg(mytime) by qos

That will copy the event _time field value into "mytime" which you can then format to include just the "hour" part of the time value (%H).

"stats" wants to do calculations on fields, so I provided the "average" value for mytime in the query above. Because this you may want to use "table" instead of "stats".

0 Karma

zeroactive
Path Finder

Thanks Kristian. I updated my answer to focus on the field usage in the stats command. It was a bad example. I was trying to break down what I thought was wrong into different parts.

0 Karma

zeroactive
Path Finder

Note my comment at the end of the answer: ""stats" wants to do calculations on fields, so I provided the "average" value for mytime in the query above. Because this you may want to use "table" instead of "stats"."

0 Karma

_gkollias
Builder

Sorry, The I looks like a pipe. The " I use appendcols for 2w ago and 3w ago means follow the same search as index=esb_hourly_summary_prf source=esb_hourly_summary_prf
earliest=-7d@w0 latest=@w0 | localop
| stats count as 1week_ago_count, date_hour by qos.

Maybe the sort qos, num((date_hour) is what's making it screwy?

0 Karma

_gkollias
Builder

I tried this and get a red bar Error in 'stats' command: The argument 'date_hour' is invalid.

Maybe showing more of my query will help:
index=esb_hourly_summary_prf source=esb_hourly_summary_prf
earliest=-7d@w0 latest=@w0 | localop
| stats count as 1week_ago_count, date_hour by qos
I use appendcols for 2w ago and 3w ago -
| stats
first(info_min_time) as info_min_time,
first(info_max_time) as info_max_time,
first(1week_ago_count) as 1week_ago_count,
| addinfo
| convert ctime(info_min_time), ctime(info_max_time)
| sort qos, num(date_hour)

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...